Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ghosts of War by Ryan Smithson

I have been reading the novel, Ghosts of War, by Ryan Smithson, a 19-year-old G.I. who served in Afghanistan. He served in an equipment platoon, repairing roads and working construction. Most war novels are about the battles and attacks and counter-attacks, and convoys and such. The front lines, in short. This novel is very different. It is about the supporting companies who make it possible for "front line" G.I.'s to get to there objective etc...
This story brings the reader into Afghanistan and they connect with Ryan, or at least I did. I learned how some G.I.'s survive and remain relatively sane by being insane. He has a discussion about sanity and insanity, and how it is relative to your surroundings. Reading this novel was an extremely eye-opening experience. I would strongly recommend this novel to anyone who wants to get a real life account of one G.I's experience in Afghanistan.

1 comment:

  1. I am really glad you enjoyed this book. I love it when a book changes one's perception of the world.

    ReplyDelete